Friday, November 24, 2006

BCS Bits

Well another year of the Bowl Championship series is coming into focus. I know there is constant criticism of the BCS, but I gotta tell you, I love it. In no other sport is each and every game so important. Each and every game carries so much weight. I used to think that a BCS playoff would be better, but I no longer do. Remember, before the BCS we didn't have 1 and 2 play each other. Now we get a bonafide Championship Game. A playoff would totally destroy the history of the bowl games and remove some of what makes college football special.

Now on to the contenders. With Arkansas' loss today they are out. This realistically leaves only USC, Florida and Michigan as title contenders against Ohio State. Sorry Golden Domers, but your schedule this year was pathetic. Army, Navy, AirForce, UNC? Couldn't get the Boy Scouts to play you? Charlie 'I've got an ass on the front of my body as well as the back' Weiss really hasn't proven much to me yet. My prediction is they will lose to USC, which is having a down year, 44-21. Next year they should try having a stronger schedule. I really think USC will go to the title game, but if they lose and Florida wins out, the Gators should get a chance before a Michigan rematch. However it ends up, this will be another great year for college football, BCS and all.

More after Saturday's games...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are very correct about Notre Dame. They suck!

Anonymous said...

I fully agree with you. Notre Dame is god awful. They are a mid-west school that thinks they are a high-brow east coast school. For god sakes they are located in South Bend Indiana. I dont understand how they can be so popular. They have sucked for so long and now all of the sudden have some semblence of talent but they still blow. Probably the most overrated team in history.

Anonymous said...

Trust me, put in a 16 team playoff for football and no one will remember that quaint little BCS crap. Money keeps the crappy bowls system in place, but for a football fan...................well, i can't think of an allitritive(sc) phrase that would equal "March Madness" for December, but it would be huge. Oh, I get it : internal rhyme, as in "Decembers to Remembers". I can't think of any team (read: #17 ranked)that could complain too much. The only good thing about the present system now is to figure out how top ranked teams have to lose (after Notre Dames inevitible first loss of the year) to get N.D. into the title game. One of these days again.

Anonymous said...

Picks anyone for the last weekend of college football:

(For information purposes only)

Fresno St +4.5
Troy -11
Oklahoma -3.5
Colorado St -1
Oregon St +8