Saturday, March 24, 2007

16 divided by two

So now officialy the Love Jones part of the NCAA's has ended. On Thursday SIU lost to Kansas and on friday Butler lost to Florida. With the demise of these teams tourney's in the round of 16, my strong roting interest has ended. This tournement has been wild in a way I haven't appreciated: three of the regional finals feature #1 -v- #2, and the other one features #1 -v- #3. Jeeze! Could throw the romantics a fricking bone, could ya?

SIU looked good. They looked better than Kansas, I thought. Whatever that magic that makes up the chemistry in a team, SIU just didn't have enough of it Thursday to put it over the edge. It was a winnable game for sure, and I was hugely dissapointed. I actually turned off basketball I was so struck, but relented and put on a thrilling Bulls win over Denver. Rebraced, I returned to the NCAA's.

On Friday, it was another time to be dissapointed. Butler played well, but the whole game was an exercise in containing Florida. This was true even in the first half where butler led for long streches. The champs were obviously the better team,with great players all ove the court.

Butler did exactly what they had to do: keep the gameclose so that in the last minute anything can happen . With about four minutes left, I thought that Butler mite be able to grab the momentum: Florida had finally missed two shots in a row and Butler got a key score. That tide change was an illusion, and Florida took what they deserved. Florida is good.

I had invested in both games a lot in spirit and time. I watched both games intently. A lot of disapointment in being a sports fan.

I'm now down with Ohio State and Georgetown. Despite the prevelence of high seeds left(seven of the eight teams left are #1 or #2)to my personal enjoyment of the tournement, it has been great so far. So many well played close games, despite the dearth of miricle finishes. Plus, i admidt that the remaining excellent teams being pitted against each otherthe next few games will be an outstanding specticle to witness.

No comments: