Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Magic Number

I'd totally forgotten that since 2005, baseball postseasons are not that big in Chicago. Remember in 1983 as then Sox methodically erased games @ a time off of the magic number as they clinched the Western Division on 17 September? The end came dizzyingly fast that year - my homemade Magic Number Counter bored me quickly as the lead was extended to a record in the old four division setup for games ahead @ the end of the season (20).

But since the Sox won in in 2005, everything is taken for granted. I assume. Although the Tribune has been keeping us updated on the other teams magic number - it stands @ six - I can only assume that the greatness of this years Sox team precludes that paper from also running the Sox's magic number. We have gotten the other teams number every day - but I have to use my own math ability to come up with the new Sox clinching number every day. Are people sick of the Sox's success? Maybe the staff @ the Trib just isn't smart enough to tabulate both scores. That could be true, because I actually read the Tribune and have a good knowledge of the papers deal. That would certainly explain their ediitorial policy.

Well, I'm glad the Tribune has taken this postseason for granted for the South side team. I must amidt that it look slike it's going to go down to the final weekend to determine the winner in the AL's Central. Luckily, the Trib has full cnfidence in the team. Unless Mariotti is hired.

By the way, it's 12.

No comments: