Friday, September 26, 2008

Black Sox Faction

Planning Changes

A long while ago I was attempting to plan just which Sox game would be the clo\\incher. Iw as there in 1983 and 1993 when the Sox clinche the old AL west. 2000 and 2005 were clinched in Minnesota -too far fopr me to visit. But this years tight race had me planning to attend one of those last wkd games -v- Cleveland. For the past two weeks -until Tuesdays loss to Minnesota made it impossible - I was planning to go to to-nights game. I knew I couldn't go Saturday nite - a date w/ My Bloody Valentine, who I haven't seen since what -1991?? There was also Sunday, but I was rather hoping that the division would be sewn up by then.

So, this weeks games highlighted some of the sox's woes this season in turn. Tuesdays 9-3 loss was all about the terrible start by Vasquez. Although the Sox starters -well, the top three, with about a half a good year from vasquez- hasn't been bad, but they did have that two week period in August (or so) when they threatened w/ collapse. Blessedly, it was the young guys - Floyd and Danks - who kept it all to-gether the whole year and allowed the staff as a whole to recover.

Wednesdays loss highlighted the poor hitting. The 3-2 loss had the Sox - except for Grff's hitting - missing opportunities w/ men on base. Although the team also had its hitting scares earlier in the season (and the loss of AL MVP favourite- as of 1 September - and the Sox's OTHER All Star really drove these worries through the last two months of the season), they have't duplicated last years flod.

And then last night. Going into this series, I would have been very happy w/ one win out of three. I pointed to the ace, Gavin Floyd's start, as the probable victory. Although it wasn't his absolute best star, he left the game w/ the lead....... So, last years bugaboo, the relivers, have been shakey -although not as shakey as last year burnouts - but this game's loss could be blamed on them. And, to make it worse, it was Linebrink and Jenks - who have been steady all year , despite Linebrinks recent stay on the DL- who gave up the lead. Not good.

So, the Sox have work to do. Both Minnesota (Royals) and the Sox (Cleveland)are @ home. K.C. has been terrible -v- Minny, but they are also 11-2 inntheir last 13 games. Cleveland made a nice run to bring themmselves to respectability, but they have lost their last three.

As it stand, both teams are tied in the loss colum, so Da Sox have the season intheir own hands. Depending on what Minnesota does, the Sox have to sweep Cleveland (though it's not necessary) and hope KC sweeps Minnesota. If that happens, the Sox do not have to make up that hurricane delayed Detroit game from two weeks ago. However, I sense that on Monday, the Sox will be playing Detroit in the makeup game. What else? There is also the heavy possiblility of a one game playoff -v- Minnesota (Sox 7-2 -v- Minnn. @ Comiskey).

So what am I gonna do?? My plans for this nite changed when a Friday clinching game was rendered impossible by Wednesdays loss. Sunday became the goal - it could be the day - but it could also be Monday (I'll have to work) or Tuesday (I'll have to work). My plans for this nite? On about Wednesday, that #2 St. Rita - #18 Providence game suddenly became very attractive - until I realised that I'd have to travel to the other side of the fucking world to get to it.

So now? Shit - w/ Danks pitching, even if it ain'tno clincher, it looks like it'll be anbother Comiskey nite for me.

No comments: