Friday, August 15, 2008

Major League Records

Luckily, I was able to drag myself out of the house -wow- that early to actually do something I was planning. And then it turned out kooler than I thought. Plus, they will be recording the events of my day in the history books. And I just showed up.

It was to the Sox game, and the impportant thing is is that they won. With no Minnesota game, the lead went up to a full game (and some percentage points - they mite come in handy late in the season). Extra nice because of all the terror about the pitching staff after Jose Contrearas' season ending injury, they topped two shutouts and a no hitter into the seventh with another great start - this time Lance Broadway with a strong five and a third, allowing two runs in the first that better defense would have taken care of.

And finally, extra extra nice because there were not one but two seperate major league records happening in front of my eyes. Carlos Quentin extended his record of consecutive games being hit by pitch to six straight games. He's been hit by pitch twenty times so far - nice way to buck up the on base percentage. He's been so good all year it's nice to hear the MVP chatter about him. If the Sox win the division, his steady play will probabley be the major factor in that.

And then there were the four straight homers. I've seen three straight before - who hasn't, if they've gone to as many games as I have? The first homer was waited for - the Sox were leading only 3-2 (although it did seem that the team had it all in hand -nice confidence) and needed to put the gam away. it's nice to see Thome hitting the ball so well the second half of the season. And then Konerko hit the next - again, swell to see him produce anything. He had three hits. After ramariez's shot, people started to call for a fourth. And then after Uribe's fourth and final 'in a row' shot, i was really hoping for a fifth strait homer. At this point, I thought that the record was five in a row - and I wanted a second straight record set in the game I was @. I didn't realise that four was it and I already had it.

nice to relax @ a game in two regards. First, the Sox won early in the day -it was a 1.05pm game. There was to be no wondering all day what they and Minnesota were doing - it was all done. And accomplished. Pennant Race it is.

The second was that this was the first game in several years that I went to by my self. I used to go to maybe 10 Sox games a year by myself and just vegg out watching the game. I used to do so many things by myself - very very many so much so that I thought that my solitudeinal actions seemed one of the indicators of my wandering mind. But I'm different now/ and I'm glad that ...... well, solitude is great many times. You don't have to talk to anyone, sit near anyone, do anything, just stare @ the field and root....

I needed it. To the Sox game Monday nite - $8.50 tix !! - and then maybe to anther day game next Wednesday.

No comments: