Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Midwest-Mountain Series











The NLCS games averaged only 4.3 million viewers. That's quite a drop from more than the 10.5 million last year for the Mets-Cardinals series. Games 2 and 4 this year, which started after 10 p.m. EDT, had only 3.3 million and 3.8 million viewers. This was the least watched NLCS in history.

Some of this is to be expected with the games moving to TBS, but the least watched in history? Normally, I don't care if Fox or ESPN has lousy ratings for a sporting event. It's not my money that's being lost. I want good play over big markets. However, I have to admit, I'm a baseball junkie and I can say that I had trouble getting interested in Rockies-DBacks. Ok, some of it was bitterness that had the Cubs won, they would have hosted the NLCS, but most of it was that I just didn't know the players on these teams very well.

Neither team has many househod names, to their credit, and to my boredom.

With the Indians now taking a commanding 3-1 lead in the ALCS, it is looking like the World Series is going to be Colorado vs. Cleveland. This will provide some drama. Those 90's Indians teams were good, but never won. They haven't won since 1946. it could very well be the third AL Centeral team in a row representing the American League. The Rockies are making their first appearance in the Fall Classic. Still, it is going to be difficult to find something compelling to root for or against. Can you actually hate or love one of these teams? I didn't think so.

I know that I shouldn't allow myself to be so manipulated by the big market media, especially the Eastern Seaboard Promotional Network, but I have to admit the 2008 World Series is shaping up to be a snoozer.

3 comments:

Hilts said...

It's always hard to get into the next round when your team loses. The first time I ever rooted for the National League in the World Series was in 1983- could not root for the Oriles that year.

bonnix said...

You might be right. It might just be Cubs hangover. I do know that I don't like this day off in the middle of the ALCS for no reason. Not for travel. What exactly is Bud doing?

funnyface said...

Hi Bonnix. This is Manu and Zanu.