Thursday, May 10, 2007

Double no hitters I was almost involved in both at the same time and they threw us into a hole and washed away the key and then laughed at us

Went w/ Gf to Cubs game last nite. I haven't been to a Sox game yet, but here I am @ the Wrigly Corporation(sic) Field. Met Gf @ Hilts H.S., and battled our way north up slow Western. I had the coupons rolling for some stuff @ Costello's Sandwichs and Things. This was not a 2-1, but a free drink and side. had two coupons, and supped fast and well. We dropped the car and did the double time (we didn't- we walked @ normal pace) mile walk to the stadium, and went in.

One thing I noticed was that there was a lot of Cub fans there. I know I have a bit of blinders on, but it's funny to this Southsider to see so many fans of Iowa team. True, too, not just a anti cubfan thing.

As stated in the title (LIARS!!!), there were two no hitters going this nite. Since I was @ Wrigley, I guess I dressed the part : the Cub pitcher had a no hitter into the seventh, but I must admidt I didn't notice until..............after the game. I was noticing the 4 in the first the Sox put up and that this game was going FAST AS HELL. I clapped the outs.

It was a good time. Wrigley is a great place to take in a game, although there are some negatives and some little funny thing as well.

The negative is having to look @ those fucking rooftop bleachers they put up outside the stadium. So bad. I totally remember the organic rooftops of my youth, where it was just the people who lived there & frenz invited who went, not the fux who infest the place now (who knows? maybe my Dad didn't die and was hanging out up there...............listening to the Sox game on his transistor........). That's a really sad part of the flavour of the park.

Another thing was the bleachers. yes, Yes, the $5 tix of my youth are now $45 or whatever, and there are now no 'Bleacher Bums' allowed anynear the place, but the expansion of the Bleachers went well from my viewpoint. They added 1000 seats or so, and it didn't hurt the park that much - or at all.

For all its faults, Comisky Park also had its impact on wrigley - the Tribune Corporation mimicing center field @ Comisky and adding a dark glassed viewing area. Again, when I was growing up, that area was dingy corrugated metal in center field. It fit in with the image of the Cubs of the 70's and early 80's- a team that was repped by Bleacher Bums and "The five percent who can't get jobs". (It really was kool/acceptable to be a Cubs fan way back. Now? Ten foot stick. It'll seat some more, and although I liked the metal and then the grass they replaced it with, that's business.

Tribune corporation didn't just steal from the Sox. They also stole from the Dodgers- the Brooklyn Dodgers. There was a little ragtime band playing some songs betwixt innings, and I really though I was @ Ebbets Field.

Truth be told, it was a good time. Viva the Cubbies..........

No comments: