Monday, January 22, 2007

Jonesing for a SuperBowl


I believe! Yes, I believe in this Chicago Bears team. They dismantled the Saints yesterday looking hungrier than ever as breakfast ball stated. I'll admit that I am a late convert. I never would have guessed that Rex Grossman would be a SuperBowl quarterback.

I believe in Lovie Smith. In his third year this boring as vanilla coach had a plan after all. His uninspiring comments during his press conferences were right after all.

"We are a running football team," Lovie would say as dispassionately as a paint salesman. This point was emphatically proved with Thomas Jones, and to a much, much lesser degree Boo Hoo Benson rambling for 196 yards. Jones ran for 123 of those yards for an astounding 6.5 yards per carry. Benson was mostly ineffective and I still think he is a cancer that should be cut. But that can wait till next year.

I believe in this Bears team. During the game, which I watched with some other DCS staffers, I found myself uncontrollably singing the Bear Down Chicago Bears song. No one at DCS has been more critical of this team than me, but I was dead wrong. I now realize that Lovie is not boring, but confident in his team and decisions. Rivera is a great defensive coach and Turner has figured out how to minimize Grossman's mistakes and make the two-back system work.

As I have stated earlier, nothing would make me happier than for the Bears to prove me, and their many other critics wrong. They have. And if on cue, the nationally media has again fallen in love with the story of Peyton Manning get the monkey off his back. The current line in Vegas is the Colts are a 7 point favourite. Tony Kornheiser said they should be a 10 point favourite. This is just the kind of talk that will inspire Urlacher and his teammates. Lovie does have a plan, and he is going to deliver in two weeks.

Bear Down Chicago! The Bears are going to be Super Bowl Champs!

No comments: