Saturday, December 05, 2009

Bowl Anarchy Society

Not quite 1993

Dated a girl from Nebraska way back when. Lovely girl - she was my First Love and all that goes with that. Do wonder from time to time whatever happened to her(though I know what she's has to be doing tonite) - but past is past. As w. all relationships, things that mattered to her became concerns of mine. She was a massive fan of the NEbraska huskers football team - and, in a fashion, so did I. Even went to a game in Fall of 1990 - they were playing Northern Illinois, so, well, I of course rooted for alma mater #2. But, generally, I rooted hard for them even after Q and I broke up. So, in the 1993 season, when they were playing Florida State in a bowl game (after the Irish had beaten Colorado) I was totally going for Nebraska - both for Notre Dames sake (hopeless dream - we really needed a playoff that year) and for Nebraska.

The next year Nebraska did the unbelievable - they beat up hated Miami in the Orange Bowl and won the national Championship. This was after Q and I stopped talking (we'd talk again) for a few years or so and so while i celebrated, i also celebrated for m old love. They went on to win three of four national championships in a row, but by then i was tired of the team. They were a delight as an underdog - but generally I got tired of them.

Well, tonite I am a Nebraska fan once again. This time, its that old campaign that I have foremost in mind - the NEED for a NCAA Division 1 Footaball Playoff. beginning of the day, there were six undeafeated teams. Two played each other - 'Bama downing #1 Florida. Nebraska, 9-3, plays Texas (12-0). Then comes three 'lessor' teams - TCU, Cincinnati, and Boise State. If Nebraska beats Texas, that means Alabama will be the obvious #1 team going into the bowl season - but the other three undefeated teams all have a claim to play 'Bama in the so called "National Championship Game". The last two years I felt that a roll of the dice would have as much claim to legitimacy as the teams paired in the "National Championship Game" - and if Nebraska can upset Texas, then I feel that this years claim that somehow the two teams matched up in the so called "National Championship Game" once again is a sham.

Funny - the last few years I wanted ALL of the undefeated teams to lose, totally muddying the waters. This year, my tac has been to keep several teams undefeated - which means that w. a Nebraska win, there is one clear team that desrves a high ranking - but three others that have equal claims to play in the final game. Lets go Huskers!

We'll get a playoff system for the NCAA Div. 1 sometime. Makes too much sense. Fuckheads who clamour to keep the bowl system as is really remind me of the Birthers and anti HealthCare reform people. We must progress.

Oh, and as the NCAA season is coming to a close, we all know what we can expect soon - the DCS 16 team playoff matchups show on the DCS network. It'll be good.

See 2008

No comments: