Monday, June 30, 2008

Never Ending Season

Manchester Uited of England ended the Europan soccer season last month, rite? That PK ending to the Champions League Final -v- Chelsea? But wait, didn't they win the English Premier League over Chelsea a month and a half ago? So what the fuck was the soccer final from Europe on ABC Sunday afternoon? Yes, yet another game in the never ending season.

More than any othe team sort, soccer just doesn't end. Most baseball players chill from October till early Feb., when they report for spring training. Similarily, football, basketball, and hockey players - unless they go deep into the playoffs - get a nice amount of time off. Not European soccer players. Generally speaking, they get a off a little more than a month off before the next season starts. And this year it's even less - with the European championships going on, the sixteen teams 22 players had to train and play in the tournement all summer. They also have to do this in World Cup summers. It's no wonder Beckham moved to America - the MLS season is nowhere as long as his European season.

And - benefiting it's world wide stature - as the European season FINALLY CONCLUDES w/out a doubt - that MLS is just starting up. But first things first- Europe - and it was a great conclusion. Spain beat Germany on a goal by Liverpool's Torres in the 33d minute, finally winning a major tournament after 44 years of losing.

And - they deserved it. They were not beaten, and looked the whole tournament the best team (although, yes, I had a bit of a Netherlands kick for a bit.) I was kool with them winning it - with Ireland and Northern Ireland, and England out, I did not have a natural team to root for. However, like the World Cup, just watching the games naturally draws you in. This tournament featured a lot of things: tight games, late goals, the emeggence of announcer Andy Grey - but what struck me most was business -every game was on ESPN or ABC. The first time I ever watched this tournement live -1988 - every game was on free tv. I can't remember what station - I'm sure it was one of the Spanish ones - but as a student it was great to have so many games to watch. However, as ti e went on, less and less games got on tv. I remember watching '92 on free, but the great '96 tournement in England went to cable. I remember having to get a guy on the block tape on ESPN one of my favourite soccer games of ALL time - the german England semifinal that went to PK's. 2000 and 2004 were all on pay tv. I was able to watch some of the games, but it was kinda shitty having to pay for them. It was catch as catch can - the England-France game was watched @ English Matts, and another @ Good kixx's.

Ah - but now. All games on ESPN, except for two games even better - free TV!! I'm always deeply interested in the business side of soccer, and it's an obvious good thing that this tournement was open to many fans for free. ESPN is smart - although this is a major world tournement and costs lots to air in othr countries, they must have gotten a cheaper rate because most of the games were played in the American afternoon - not primetime in Europe. And to those who don't know, these games draw rabid attention from soccer lovers - I know lots. And this was one of the best tournements yet, it was a fun time.

Now - with the final final final finally over in Europe, we can rest - or can we? Well, if yr in Madrid, yes you can. But if yr in Chicago, no you cant. I went to the Fire game on Saturday nite, and the season in America is at the midway point. I was able to take my nephew.3 to his first soccer game. I'd wanted to take him to a game for a long time - this is the one of my three sissters who lives way out in the suburbs, not in the 'hood with us - and it finaly got done. I was hoping that neice.1 and nephew.2 - nephew.3's favourite- was going as well, but one was in Germany and the other was in chicago doing the great graduation-time-of-the-year-party-circut and so unavailable. So, it was just he and me.

I love taking the kids out always, and always try to take them out for pizza or the like, The push here is to get my Mom walking more out of the house, so I originally was gong to take the kid, his mom, and Mom out for some pizzza. Mom wasn't feeling i, so I just brough the pizza here. Good fixings.

Nephew.3 and I parked in the "south" area. Since parking is $15, I park in two places and walk the mile to the stadium. The best spot is on 65th and 'old' Harlem Avenue (the 'old' Harlem tag is to differentiate it from the huge road bridge called Harlem that snakes over rail yards next to my spot), but since we were going for some ice cream after, I decided to park @ the older and longer distance 80th and Harlem spot - rite near the Castles.

Great first half. After I heard there was dissention between Blanco and Wilman Conde, but the team was tite in the first half. They couldn't put it in, but it looked good for the second half. We had been standing in Section 8 so that he could get a tas of it, but we sat in the good seats for the second half - also so he could see a soccer game being played from its optimal angle. ANd boy the Fire sucked it up. More by more they let the game slip away, and I swear -although they have the better team abd were @ home, I kept waiting and waiting for the game to end. Those last 10m took forever and I really wanted them to end.

European season? Englands Everton is here on their preseason tour - 30 July. The season never ends.

No comments: