Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The Cubs Crew.

In Wrigley Field for the Cubs -v- Reds game on Tuesday nite. Jackson and Rocky and I were to meet in front of the Mac D.'s on Clark, but they'd already entered to reserve the seats. I was gonna see GF @ her werke, but time got the best of me and I had to go straight to 22d near the Chinatown El stop and El'd it to Wrigley. Again, I do so like riding the El from time to time.

Those fucks flew the coop - I was 5m late -so I decided to walk a little around wrigleyvilles alleys and discovered a funny thing - so many people rent out their garages for visiting fans that every alley has 6-7 very open garages. Smart $ makers w/ such a little effort.

Easil found the boys -we were in left field, near the curve in the wall. Pretty good game - the Cubs were obviously superior and had the upper hand the whole game. There were some great defensive plays on both sides. Aramis Ramirez in particular made several spectacular plays. I'd brought my radio -which - the Sox are so good this year and I have fallen into the obsession mode. So- yes I was watching the game in front of me, but on my transistor was the game that really mattered.

Oh - and up on the scoreboard. As I saw the Twins take a 5-2 lead on Boston @ Fenway (FINALLY the Twins were going on the road -and to Boston - the thinking went that the Sox mite pick up some games while playing K.C.). So -@ a certain point -the Sox were down 4-1 and the Twins leading byt ghat 5-2 score late. But it all worked out, @ least for this nite.

AH - but there was more than baseball this nite:

"He's working where??"
"Hey - I know the story of the first night they were to-gether"
"WHAT??"
"5000 hits!?!?!"
"So- compare this old girlf with this old girlf w/ this old girlfriend -which was the best?"
"Listen, listen -I got that story - listen"
etc etc etc...

The crowd around us was fine. Cub fans have a reputation as meatheads, but these ones were pretty mellow. We were heckling Adam Dunn, the Reds left fielder. I have the loudest voice of anyone that nite, but I didn't put in too much effort. I jabbled out a few warped Monty Pythonish bizarros, but it was mainly for my edification. Even I didn't get what I was yelling out.

Though the nite threatened rain -angry skies foto's by Rocky -whenever he flixx' them y'll see - it held off. I worked this day @ school, so I came in nice pants and tie to the game- and it was hot. Not opressively hot, but off the shirt. Was I mocked more for my shirtlessness or my Sox hat?

Dunno.

Rocky drop of Jaxx @ the Capital Ship, then me near 22d, and then we drove down to my crib so Rocky could crash over. But before we crashed...

No comments: